Recent Posts

Monday, March 14, 2011

What is the media's ethical and social responsibility to the public.


   As the world knows, on March 11, 2011 at 2:46 (JST) an 8.9 earthquake struck the island of Japan.  I live in Los Angeles and have felt everything from a 1 to the 6.7 Northridge earthquake.  I have to admit, I can’t even image an 8.9 earthquake, and the fact that it lasted for 5 minutes, "No," I just can’t image it. 

Someone made a statement about the news coverage regarding Japan's massive earthquake and the conversation momentarily evolved around the amount of the media coverage.  Most felt it is too much.  This made me wonder. So, I ask the question: Does the Media have an ethical or social responsibility to not bombard us with the decimation of Japan?

Later that day, a student came to my classroom (actually he was put out of his for behavior) and asked me could he use one of my laptops to see what was happening in Japan.  I asked why?  I wanted to know his “intentions” for watching this footage.  He told me that it is amazing what happened there and he wanted to see the tsunami.  I asked why? I want to see what it did, he said, as I told him to sit down.  I gave him the Internet address to the  Los Angeles Times.  www.latimes.com

I observed him looking at the images; watching him studying them.  I showed him how to search for more information.  We went to www.google.com where he saw the text results.  And, then I clicked images.  He looked at the pictures, which were of the tsunami and the floating homes.  He looked puzzled.  What’s wrong I asked?  It’s just amazing to see.  As he pointed to different pictures that interested him.  I told him to click videos.  He sat back disappointed because none of them could play.  I forgot, YouTube is block in my district.  I told him to go to www.bbc.com.  He watched the incoming waves of the tsunami

I explained to him what is a three-story building; that was the size of the wave being shown in the news footage. At first he thought it was a beach wave.  I explained how many feet there are in a story so he could create a visual to go with the video.  He told me that he could not believe a wave could be that tall.  He watched a few more. Then asked more questions about the living conditions of the people.  I explained what I knew of the emergency procedures and the support system that the world is trying to provide.   

We talked about the fact that we live in Los Angeles and every home should have an emergency plan.  He thought that was a good thing.  He took some time and read more of the articles (he is considered a non-reader in his classroom).  I could tell he had true empathy for Japan.  All of Japan.  The island, the people, the conditions, the future, you could tell this meant something to him.   He asked me, do you look at this site at lot, referring to www.bbc.com.  Yea, I like it, the news is pretty good.  We got a knock on the door; it was time for him to go.  Thanks Mr. McBride, that was good as he departed.

Later that evening I watched the evening coverage on the tragic unfolding in front of me. I thought to myself, why would you not want to know.  Now, the coverage exceeds all news items at this moment, even the Middle East’s potential civil wars, our own war in Afghanistan and the dismal financial state of affairs. Suddenly, the news broke its coverage, and showed lines of cars with people in them at the TV’s station parking lot giving money for the relief efforts with the support of the Red Cross.

Therefore, I ask the question again. Does the Media have an ethical or social responsibility to not bombard us with the decimation of Japan?  

My answer is no, they do have the responsibility in my opinion to provide us with the best coverage possible about the changing condition for better or worst. Why.  So, it can stay on our minds just a bit.  Other wise, it just becomes new of the day.  This is so much more than the day’s news flash.  This is true devastation and at this point it has no end in sight.  Not to mention, the potential destruction if the nuclear reactors explode.  Something that I don’t want to see, and now I am of the age where I can turn way from that visual should it occur.   

Yes, they must show it, and in a way, we should endure it.  We are taking about human beings whom have influenced our country and the world.  We share so much.  Therefore, we should share this.  We can’t turn away now. Do you have to watch it every minute of the day or everyday? Of cause not.  Should young children witness this, no!  Should older kids see this? Only if an adult is in the room to help them make sense of this catastrophe and they should set a limit on how long they should watch.   We as a collective global community should know what is going on.  If the members in your house hold sadly said, “is this all that’s on TV.” Then maybe its time to turn off the TV and talk about it.  Talk about your emergency plan. What would you do after seeing this?
Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments:

Post a Comment